From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:34:54
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:14:48AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > On Thursday 21 August 2003 00:09, Paul wrote:
4 > > A long while back, I asked if it was a requirement
5 > > for ebuild submiters to assign copyright. I was told
6 > > no, GPL license was entirely sufficient. I think this has
7 > > changed, or was untrue.
8 >
9 > afaik, it's up to each individual dev atm ... personally i just make my own
10 > ebuilds if a submitter copyrights anything other than Gentoo ... that way
11 > they cant say i stole it :)
12 >
13 > > Now, Ive already given up on the submission
14 > > process, but I _am_ curious about this policy, as I
15 > > havent yet given up on Gentoo itself.
16 >
17 > not sure if it was made in policy ...
18 > -mike
19
20 It was supposed to be discussed after Daniel consulted with his lawyer
21 (about dual copyright ownership)
22 before becoming written policy. I don't think we have any results yet.
23 In the meantime, I think we should stick to what we know is legally safe
24 (assign all copyrights to Gentoo).
27 Jon Portnoy
28 avenj/irc.freenode.net
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list