From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for production servers.
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:32:09
1 Brett Simpson wrote:
2 > So then the statement "makes Gentoo Linux a questionable choice for production
3 > server environments" no longer applies?
4
5 Indiana University has been deploying Gentoo Linux heavily in production
6 environments.
7
8 > We are using Gentoo in a production server environment but recently management
9 > has been asking questions mostly because Gartner only recommends SuSE or
10 > Redhat Enterprise Linux.
11
12 This is because RedHat/SuSE give a corporation where blame can be placed
13 when something goes wrong. This was to solve the original argument of
14 "There's nobody to call when it breaks.." that has kept a lot of
15 companies from switching to Linux. However I think the recent pricing
16 model and company changes will make people re-think a lot of their
17 support needs.
18
19 -C
22 Corey Shields - Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team
23 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list