From: Brett Simpson <simpsonb@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for production servers.
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:10:44
1 On Friday 05 December 2003 02:51 pm, Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 14:38, Brett Simpson wrote:
3 > > Since this was based off of Gentoo 1.0 how relevant is this for the
4 > > current 1.4 release in a production server environment?
5 >
6 > Gentoo is flexible enough to be placed in just about any type of
7 > environment. As we move closer and closer to Portage-ng the
8 > administrator of a production server will only gain more control over
9 > the Gentoo machines he or she maintains.
10 >
11 > With the control over the dependency tree and portage tree that Gentoo
12 > affords its users there is no good reason to not consider Gentoo for any
13 > type of machine - production or otherwise.
14
15 So then the statement "makes Gentoo Linux a questionable choice for production
16 server environments" no longer applies?
17
18 Also has a company/business been formed around Gentoo?
19
20 We are using Gentoo in a production server environment but recently management
21 has been asking questions mostly because Gartner only recommends SuSE or
22 Redhat Enterprise Linux.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Brett