From: Brett Simpson <simpsonb@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for production servers.
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:34:44
1 On Friday 05 December 2003 03:10 pm, Brett Simpson wrote:
2 > On Friday 05 December 2003 02:51 pm, Lisa Seelye wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 14:38, Brett Simpson wrote:
4 > > > Since this was based off of Gentoo 1.0 how relevant is this for the
5 > > > current 1.4 release in a production server environment?
6 > >
7 > > Gentoo is flexible enough to be placed in just about any type of
8 > > environment. As we move closer and closer to Portage-ng the
9 > > administrator of a production server will only gain more control over
10 > > the Gentoo machines he or she maintains.
11 > >
12 > > With the control over the dependency tree and portage tree that Gentoo
13 > > affords its users there is no good reason to not consider Gentoo for any
14 > > type of machine - production or otherwise.
15
16 More management questions:
17
18 So would I be correct in saying that the "bleeding edge" portion in Gentoo 1.0
19 is now equivalent to the unstable packages in Gentoo 1.4?
20
21 And that someone who installs Gentoo by default won't get an unstable/untested
22 bleeding edge package unless they configure the system to install unstable
23 packages?
24
25 Thanks,
26 Brett