From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Documentation for sys-boot/grub:2
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 01:09:22
1 On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 23:34, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > But with one of the other commands I tried, it was the reverse, help <command
3 > worked for it, but <command> --help did nothing (at least it didn't
4 > trigger a reboot as help cat did).
5
6 Such issues could be caused by bad interaction of commands with the
7 same name in different modules:
8
9 command.lst:
10 *cat: cat
11 *help: help
12 cat: minicmd
13 help: minicmd
14
15 Something I noticed is that in grub2-mkimage, --prefix option must
16 come after --memdisk, and --config causes empty $prefix, --compression
17 doesn't seem to do anything, and individually compressing modules
18 works only for some of them. In short, GRUB is a mess (like usual).
19 You might find the following script interesting — it is similar to
20 grub2-mkstandalone, but selective wrt. modules (I still didn't manage
21 to boot Linux in QEMU with EFI firmware, however):
22 https://github.com/mkdesu/liberte/blob/master/src/root/helpers/gen-efi
25 Maxim Kammerer
26 Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)