From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Documentation for sys-boot/grub:2
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:35:59
1 Maxim Kammerer posted on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:31:53 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 18:07, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >> So, my question to the community: what level of documentation do we
5 >> want to put in the handbook?
6 >
7 > I think that the EFI usecase should be well-documented, since EFI is the
8 > reason that many users migrate to GRUB 2.
9
10 Currently, you're right. But consider that we're talking about unmasking
11 grub2 to ~arch and ultimately to stable, at which point it should be in
12 the handbook and all x86 and amd64 users will be getting it, that won't
13 remain the case forever.
14
15 >> Is there any other issue with grub:2 that would keep me from unmasking
16 >> (adding keywords) on x86 and amd64? I plan on waiting for the 2.00
17 >> release.
18 >
19 > Note that whereas 1.99 searches for modules in $prefix, 2.00 searches
20 > for them in $prefix/<arch>.
21
22 FWIW, the 2.00 betas haven't been entirely smooth for me. beta0 was
23 fine. beta1 would load to grub but would reboot when I tried to boot a
24 kernel, so I masked it. beta2 is getting there, but there's still some
25 problems with various interactive commands. IIRC it was help cat that
26 triggered a reboot here, while cat --help (or was it cat -h?) works. But
27 with one of the other commands I tried, it was the reverse, help <command
28 worked for it, but <command> --help did nothing (at least it didn't
29 trigger a reboot as help cat did).
30
31 Assuming those sorts of issues are gone by 2.00 release, it should be a
32 reasonable target. But I'd definitely recommend thorough testing both at
33 the maintainer level, and with an elog urging users who have manually
34 unmasked it to file any remaining bugs ASAP, before it's unmasked to
35 ~arch.
36
37 Talking about which, should I actively pursue bug filing on it yet? With
38 gentoo, upstream, or both? If you're actively wanting those bugs now,
39 please do put an elog to that effect in the ebuild, and I'll start being
40 particular about stuff like help cat working, and filing bugs if it
41 doesn't!
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman