From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 02:51:56
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hence, this requires me to lie to portage about what my preferences
4 > are to get it to play ball, constantly going "Hey portage, I actually
5 > want python 2.7 shit, please install it".
8 In this case you just wouldn't enable python 2.7 support, but you
9 wouldn't disable it either. Portage would just pull it in where it is
10 needed.
11
12 Ditto for stuff like 32-bit support for half the libraries on your
13 system when you're using something like wine. Just don't set the flag
14 except explicitly if you actually need it somewhere, and it will get
15 pulled in where it is needed, and go away when it is no longer needed.
16
17 The idea is that USE flags would behave the same way as
18 package-versions. If portage needs it then it gets installed, and
19 when it isn't needed it gets depcleaned.
22 Rich