From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 02:19:04
1 On 11 February 2016 at 13:42, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm not sure why I'd want to set a preference and then just have the
3 > system ignore it without telling me. If I tell it I want a flag
4 > on/off then yell at me if it is a problem.
7 I "prefer" not to pull in python packages and build python support for
8 versions of python I'm trying to prune from my tree.
9
10 But my "preference" in regard is not a useful preference, because
11 portage doesn't care about my preference when another package states
12 it will fail unless I do otherwise.
13
14 Hence, this requires me to lie to portage about what my preferences
15 are to get it to play ball, constantly going "Hey portage, I actually
16 want python 2.7 shit, please install it".
17
18 And after that point, it thinks I want python 2.7 shit, even if
19 nothing else needs it, because I've now said "I need it" as a side
20 effect of some package forcing my hand.
21
22 At least this way, instead of saying "I need it", I'd be saying "I
23 will permit this", but my preference is to the contrary, and "Please
24 respect my contrary preference as soon as it becomes viable to do so"
27 Kent
28
29 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL