From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:48:03
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 21:44, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:17:55 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > No, these packages are available to paludis, but not to portage.
6 > > Basically making a case for the use of paludis. I don't think that
7 > > the decision to replace portage should be made in that way.
8 >
9 > To reiterate here, we're not proposing introducing any paludis-specific
10 > features into ebuilds. Only profiles, and those profiles wouldn't
11 > provide anything that would provide users who wouldn't otherwise want
12 > to use paludis with any incentive to switch.
13
14 I know. I wanted to make clear the requirements I have that must be met
15 accomodation for a specific package manager can be made in the tree. This
16 holds for paludis. If these requirements are not met, the profile should
17 not be added.
18
19 Up to now I have not been convinced that paludis meets those requirements,
20 nor that my requirements are invalid. As such I don't think the profile
21 should be added.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze