From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improved ebuild information
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:32:52
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > Here's my question... use.local.desc is already package-specific, so why
4 > would we need yet *another* place to put package-specific definitions?
5 > Would it not be enough to have use.local.desc overlay on use.desc? If
6 > package foo uses global USE flag bar in a way different from the
7 > description in use.desc, then it should list the USE flag in
8 > use.local.desc with the correct description for that package.
9
10 That's another good idea, and i think it could produce the same results.
11 The only downside I can think of is that use.local.desc wouldn't allow
12 for version-specific flags. But 'equery uses' already solves this as it
13 only displays defs for the flags in the IUSE of the ebuild being
14 queried. The only case not covered is if the same flag is used in two
15 versions of a package to mean different things, and i don't see that
16 happening.
17
18 euse is a bit different, but still not a problem. right now it does this:
19
20 root ~ # euse -i mozilla
21 global use flags (searching: mozilla)
22 ************************************************************
23 [- ] mozilla - Adds mozilla support
24
25 local use flags (searching: mozilla)
26 ************************************************************
27 no matching entries found
30 it could do this instead:
33 root ~ # euse -i mozilla
34 global use flags (searching: mozilla)
35 ************************************************************
36 [- ] mozilla - Adds mozilla support
37
38 local use flags (searching: mozilla)
39 ************************************************************
40 [- ] mozilla (app-fake/fooapp):
41 builds the optional mozilla browser plugin
42
43 [- ] mozilla (app-fake/someotherapp):
44 use embedded mozilla engine to render newsfeeds in html
45
46 [- ] mozilla (app-fake/yetanotherapp):
47 summon giant lizard to invade Tokyo
50 actually i just realized this already works with euse, no changes
51 necessary. :D
52
53 thoughts/suggestions/kicksinthenuts? what other than equery would need
54 to be fixed to recognize the overlay? is there anything that would
55 explicitly break if a USE flag was in both use.desc and use.local.desc?
56
57 --de.
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list