From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improved ebuild information
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:59:50
1 On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 15:13 -0600, R Hill wrote:
2 > Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 21:22 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > >> We've discussed adding this to metadata.xml a few times in the past,
5 > >> but every time there was opposition from a vocal minority of one who
6 > >> claimed that USE flags should always do exactly the same thing for
7 > >> every package.
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > I guess I am one of this 'minority'. The question I just want to have
11 > > answered, is how the hell are you going to get a system up sanely (and
12 > > without tweaking /etc/portage/package.use) if besides the 350 global USE
13 > > flags, and the 1200 local USE flags, you now have to worry about global
14 > > USE flags meaning different things for every package?
15 >
16 > By using package specific USE flag descriptions stored in metadata.xml
17 > to overlay those in use.desc and use.local.desc. This info would be
18 > output by the currently existing utilities that provide USE flag info
19 > (euse, equery, ufed/used, etc). I don't think any changes to portage
20 > would be needed. This would be an opt-in feature - only those
21 > maintainers who want this support would need to implement it. If no
22 > metadata descriptions exist then they're pulled from use.desc and
23 > use.local.desc just as they are now.
24
25 Here's my question... use.local.desc is already package-specific, so why
26 would we need yet *another* place to put package-specific definitions?
27 Would it not be enough to have use.local.desc overlay on use.desc? If
28 package foo uses global USE flag bar in a way different from the
29 description in use.desc, then it should list the USE flag in
30 use.local.desc with the correct description for that package.
31
32 > Global USE flags already do mean different things for every package.
33 > Just look at 'debug' or 'doc' ;). Having more information available
34 > just makes administration easier.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
39 x86 Architecture Team