From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improved ebuild information
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:23:58
1 Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 21:22 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> We've discussed adding this to metadata.xml a few times in the past,
4 >> but every time there was opposition from a vocal minority of one who
5 >> claimed that USE flags should always do exactly the same thing for
6 >> every package.
9 > I guess I am one of this 'minority'. The question I just want to have
10 > answered, is how the hell are you going to get a system up sanely (and
11 > without tweaking /etc/portage/package.use) if besides the 350 global USE
12 > flags, and the 1200 local USE flags, you now have to worry about global
13 > USE flags meaning different things for every package?
14
15 By using package specific USE flag descriptions stored in metadata.xml
16 to overlay those in use.desc and use.local.desc. This info would be
17 output by the currently existing utilities that provide USE flag info
18 (euse, equery, ufed/used, etc). I don't think any changes to portage
19 would be needed. This would be an opt-in feature - only those
20 maintainers who want this support would need to implement it. If no
21 metadata descriptions exist then they're pulled from use.desc and
22 use.local.desc just as they are now.
23
24 Global USE flags already do mean different things for every package.
25 Just look at 'debug' or 'doc' ;). Having more information available
26 just makes administration easier.
27
28 --de.
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list