From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improved ebuild information
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:04:36
1 On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 21:22 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:19:39 +0200 Daniel Stiefelmaier
3 > <mail@××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > | I'd like to have a functionality that prints out what the useflags of
5 > | a ebuild are good for. Some are obvious, others are not. Example:
6 > | The useflag "xprint" sounds like printing support, but doesn't tell
7 > | if you need it if you use cups or the kde-printing system or...
8 > | whatever.
9 >
10 > We've discussed adding this to metadata.xml a few times in the past,
11 > but every time there was opposition from a vocal minority of one who
12 > claimed that USE flags should always do exactly the same thing for
13 > every package.
16 I guess I am one of this 'minority'. The question I just want to have
17 answered, is how the hell are you going to get a system up sanely (and
18 without tweaking /etc/portage/package.use) if besides the 350 global USE
19 flags, and the 1200 local USE flags, you now have to worry about global
20 USE flags meaning different things for every package?
21
22 As for the 'xprint' USE flags ... I guess the description is
23 deceptive .. its support for X11's printing system (or should be).
24 'cups' is for cups support, etc.
28 Martin Schlemmer