From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing etc/* in an embbeded system
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:38:56
1 On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
2 <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
3 >
4 > There can not be any manual merges after an SW update here.
5 >
6 > I started to look at INSTALL_MASK, what if I set INSTALL_MASK
7 > to point to all conf files I want to manage myself.
8 > Then /etc/inittab etc. will not be touched when updating init
11 This sounds like overkill.
12
13 If you've already installed a custom /etc/inittab, then when you
14 emerge init, it won't overwrite your inittab even if you don't change
15 anything in your portage config. emerge won't touch any files in /etc
16 unless they don't already exist. So, just dump all your canned config
17 files into etc and then install whatever you want, and your config
18 files will be intact. You'll have a bunch of renamed config files
19 that emerge will bug you about, but you can either just delete those
20 or ignore them.
23 Rich