From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing etc/* in an embbeded system
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 23:48:12
1 Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...
2
3 > On Jul 22, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
6 > <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> There can not be any manual merges after an SW update here.
9 >>
10 >> I started to look at INSTALL_MASK, what if I set INSTALL_MASK
11 >> to point to all conf files I want to manage myself.
12 >> Then /etc/inittab etc. will not be touched when updating init
13 >
14 > This sounds like overkill.
15 >
16 > If you've already installed a custom /etc/inittab, then when you
17 > emerge init, it won't overwrite your inittab even if you don't change
18 > anything in your portage config. emerge won't touch any files in /etc
19 > unless they don't already exist.
22 ..AND have been modified. IIRC if the hash of the config files match what they were when the package was previously emerged, then the files are updated aren't they?
23
24 I expect that this is fine in the situation described, but it's worth knowing that a config file left unmodified may be replaced with a different vanilla config file later on.