From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing etc/* in an embbeded system
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:46:36
1 On Wed, 2015-07-22 at 19:47 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 >
3 > Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...
4 >
5 > > On Jul 22, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
8 > > <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > There can not be any manual merges after an SW update here.
11 > > >
12 > > > I started to look at INSTALL_MASK, what if I set INSTALL_MASK
13 > > > to point to all conf files I want to manage myself.
14 > > > Then /etc/inittab etc. will not be touched when updating init
15 > >
16 > > This sounds like overkill.
17 > >
18 > > If you've already installed a custom /etc/inittab, then when you
19 > > emerge init, it won't overwrite your inittab even if you don't change
20 > > anything in your portage config. emerge won't touch any files in /etc
21 > > unless they don't already exist.
24 > ..AND have been modified. IIRC if the hash of the config files match what they were when the package was
25 > previously emerged, then the files are updated aren't they?
26 >
27 > I expect that this is fine in the situation described, but it's worth knowing that a config file left
28 > unmodified may be replaced with a different vanilla config file later on.
29
30 Sure, but what if I need to change a conf file in an installed system? Or rebuild a a system from scratch?
31 The user only runs a one SW update command to update an installed system in the field and cannot edit a bunch
32 of files too. Especially when there are hundreds of systems sitting in remote locations.
33
34 This is why I need a way change conf files automatically and I want to use ebuilds/profile as
35 far as possible. I think there is room for some improvement here in portage to allow this kind
36 of customization.
37
38 Jocke