From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Need some c++ help here please:
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:10:29
1 >> #include <iostream>
2 >> using namespace std;
3 >> int main(){
4 >> cout << "Hello World" << endl;
5 >> return(0);
6 >> }
9 > according to the ml posts I've read this is bad practice and one
10 > should use std::cout whenever/wherever there is need of it. I'm
11 > good at bad practice though ;)
12
13 That's people getting carried away with a rule-of-thumb and taking
14 it to it's black-and-white extreme while forgetting the whole reason
15 for the rule in the first place.
16
17 The more namespaces you have, the more likely you are to confuse
18 them, thus the rule that objects should be expressed in their
19 namespace prefixed form. No problem there.
20
21 But what is the point in the above example? None and the "using
22 namespace" form works just fine. In fact it could be the prefered
23 form on a large program with a simple namespace schema. The reason
24 for this is the simple fact that working memory can only hold on
25 average 12 items. By not having the objects prefixed with their
26 namespace you can hold more code in working memory when, for example,
27 debugging, making the job easier on you.
30 Thomas M. Beaudry
31 k8la / ys1ztm
32
33 If at first you don't succeed, work for Microsoft.