From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing GLEP-62 itself
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:39:16
1 On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 03:29:17 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:02:44AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:39 -0700
6 > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:58:07PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
9 > > > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:47:33 -0400
10 > > > > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
11 > > > >
12 > > > > > Based on the above I do expect the reference implementation
13 > > > > > would also need to change. I expect, for instance, that the
14 > > > > > PM's metadata-handling would need to occur as normal even
15 > > > > > though none of the package's phase functions would run, that
16 > > > > > is, *DEPEND (realistically RDEPEND as that should be the only
17 > > > > > one affected here, maybe PDEPEND too) and USE/PKGUSE would
18 > > > > > get updated. Since portage would not be re-emerging the
19 > > > > > package from the tree the original ebuild would remain.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Yes, unless I'm missing something that's the intent. I will
22 > > > > re-read and update the GLEP a bit sometime this week.
23 > > >
24 > > > There's a fairly strong user interaction component here, along w/
25 > > > potential nastyness for ebuilds (the proposal assume that a flag
26 > > > will be toggable in all cases within an ebuild if IUSE_RUNTIME
27 > > > specified; I guarantee instances where that fails can be found in
28 > > > the tree if a basic audit was done). Additionally, this *is*
29 > > > useless if it's done in a form the UI an't display/handle; Ciaran
30 > > > may bitch about REQUIRED_USE's UI (which I knew going in was
31 > > > going to be problematic, just to be clear), but he's right on
32 > > > that front.
33 >
34 > ^^^ This point still needs addressing.
35
36 IUSE_RUNTIME is optional for PMs, why does the UI matter at all ?
37 Also, the proposal doesn't assume flags are toggable at will, it assumes
38 they are useflags and obey the same rules.
39
40 > > > Additionally, this needs to be thought out how it'll interact
41 > > > with eclasses; what stacking, etc. It doesn't cover the basics
42 > > > there to say the least.
43 > >
44 > > The proposal didn't cover eclasses at all. Is there a need to do so
45 > > or are we chasing some kind of perfection based on filling all
46 > > unused slots?
47 >
48 > Eclass stacking here matters; if it's stacked, it means ebuilds have
49 > to use out of bound (ie, other vars) to tell the eclass when it
50 > shouldn't mark a flag as runtime toggable. If it's not stacked by
51 > the pm, then they have to manually stack; that differs from the norm
52 > and makes it easier to screwup; however; does allow for them to
53 > filter, albeit a slight pain in the ass doing so.
54 >
55 > There's a choice there, and the answer matters, so yes, you should
56 > actually have a complete glep before trying to shove it up to the
57 > council and extract a vote out of them. Lest the intention is to
58 > just have them kick it back to the curb...
59
60 It can't be stacked and it's not wise to do so; it is a simple bash
61 variable like tons of others in eclasses:
62 """
63 Package managers not implementing this GLEP will consider
64 the ``IUSE_RUNTIME`` variable as an irrelevant bash variable
65 """
66 """
67 2. introduce additional ``IUSE_RUNTIME`` variable listing names of USE
68 flags related to optional runtime dependencies (without prefixes
69 related to IUSE defaults).
70 """
71
72 Treating bash variables as bash variables is rather the norm,
73 stacking is the exception. As I understand it, your only objection here
74 is that you want to see written 'IUSE_RUNTIME gets no special treatment'
75 in the proposal ?
76
77 A.