From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing GLEP-62 itself
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:05:22
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 02:38:02PM -0300, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 03:29:17 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:02:44AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
6 > > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:39 -0700
7 > > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:58:07PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
10 > > > > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:47:33 -0400
11 > > > > > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > > Based on the above I do expect the reference implementation
14 > > > > > > would also need to change. I expect, for instance, that the
15 > > > > > > PM's metadata-handling would need to occur as normal even
16 > > > > > > though none of the package's phase functions would run, that
17 > > > > > > is, *DEPEND (realistically RDEPEND as that should be the only
18 > > > > > > one affected here, maybe PDEPEND too) and USE/PKGUSE would
19 > > > > > > get updated. Since portage would not be re-emerging the
20 > > > > > > package from the tree the original ebuild would remain.
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > Yes, unless I'm missing something that's the intent. I will
23 > > > > > re-read and update the GLEP a bit sometime this week.
24 > > > >
25 > > > > There's a fairly strong user interaction component here, along w/
26 > > > > potential nastyness for ebuilds (the proposal assume that a flag
27 > > > > will be toggable in all cases within an ebuild if IUSE_RUNTIME
28 > > > > specified; I guarantee instances where that fails can be found in
29 > > > > the tree if a basic audit was done). Additionally, this *is*
30 > > > > useless if it's done in a form the UI an't display/handle; Ciaran
31 > > > > may bitch about REQUIRED_USE's UI (which I knew going in was
32 > > > > going to be problematic, just to be clear), but he's right on
33 > > > > that front.
34 > >
35 > > ^^^ This point still needs addressing.
36 >
37 > IUSE_RUNTIME is optional for PMs, why does the UI matter at all ?
38 > Also, the proposal doesn't assume flags are toggable at will, it assumes
39 > they are useflags and obey the same rules.
40
41 I truly hate claims like this; "it's optional, so who cares if it's
42 whacky". Think through the proposal; for it to work reliably, it's
43 not optional. Same issue I've been y'all over the head with,
44 rendered/finalized vs raw/unfinalized deps being stored in the VDB.
45
46 All managers have to write unfinalized if that proposal goes through,
47 even if they don't support the optional toggling after the fact.
48
49 As for the UI... arguing "but it's optional!" doesn't give a blank
50 check for the UI angle. What the plan, more colorization and a new
51 char for emerge -vp? Because we're kind of running out of chars
52 there...
53
54 It's a simple enough request; one that wouldn't even need to be made
55 if there was code backing this proposal; on a related note, hell yes
56 I'm wary of having this dumped on manager authors heads and having to
57 be told "sort out the mess/make it so". So I'm asking y'all to at
58 least put in an equivalent time investment doing a quick prototype.
59
60 This isn't an unreasonable request, and has been the norm for most
61 gleps for a long while.
64 > > > > Additionally, this needs to be thought out how it'll interact
65 > > > > with eclasses; what stacking, etc. It doesn't cover the basics
66 > > > > there to say the least.
67 > > >
68 > > > The proposal didn't cover eclasses at all. Is there a need to do so
69 > > > or are we chasing some kind of perfection based on filling all
70 > > > unused slots?
71 > >
72 > > Eclass stacking here matters; if it's stacked, it means ebuilds have
73 > > to use out of bound (ie, other vars) to tell the eclass when it
74 > > shouldn't mark a flag as runtime toggable. If it's not stacked by
75 > > the pm, then they have to manually stack; that differs from the norm
76 > > and makes it easier to screwup; however; does allow for them to
77 > > filter, albeit a slight pain in the ass doing so.
78 > >
79 > > There's a choice there, and the answer matters, so yes, you should
80 > > actually have a complete glep before trying to shove it up to the
81 > > council and extract a vote out of them. Lest the intention is to
82 > > just have them kick it back to the curb...
83 >
84 > It can't be stacked and it's not wise to do so; it is a simple bash
85 > variable like tons of others in eclasses:
86
87 It cannot be stacked because y'all are trying to shove this in as an
88 optional; unlike it's brother IUSE, which stacks.
89
90 As for "ons of others that don't stack"; very few actually influence
91 the package manager; ~14 roughly, minimally 5 of those stack (those
92 that don't, basically aren't lists).
95 > """
96 > Package managers not implementing this GLEP will consider
97 > the ``IUSE_RUNTIME`` variable as an irrelevant bash variable
98 > """
99 > """
100 > 2. introduce additional ``IUSE_RUNTIME`` variable listing names of USE
101 > flags related to optional runtime dependencies (without prefixes
102 > related to IUSE defaults).
103 > """
104 >
105 > Treating bash variables as bash variables is rather the norm,
106 > stacking is the exception. As I understand it, your only objection here
107 > is that you want to see written 'IUSE_RUNTIME gets no special treatment'
108 > in the proposal ?
109
110 My objection is punting it to the council till it's actually nailed
111 down/sane; having them mark it accepted means we're stuck w/ the
112 results if it turns out to be shit at the implementation/UI level as a
113 lot of us think it will be.
114
115 So yes, I want it actually finalized. Bluntly; there's zero point
116 having the council comment if it ain't finalized.
117
118 ~harring