From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:33:33
1 On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:42:19 +0200 Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > | 1) Safety is important, it should be our aim to have our
4 | > | default system as secure as it possibly could be.
5 | >
6 | > Uh, no. A *reasonable* level of security is good. "As secure as it
7 | > possibly could be" means turning on grsec, selinux etc in maximum
8 | > security mode, which makes a box unusable unless you spend a lot of
9 | > time screwing around with things. Nothing wrong with that under
10 | > certain circumstances, of course, but it should *not* be a default.
11 |
12 | As in how do you reason it would? You mean some things are not
13 | practically
14 | feasable? Well I agree on that (did you read as far down as the
15 | proposal?).... these things you name do not work with everything
16 | obviously and so these things just aren't possible yet for out of the
17 | box deployment,
18
19 -fstack-protector does not work with everything. It is not useful with
20 many packages and it provides a nasty performance hit on some packages.
21 It is overkill for the majority of our users. We don't have it on by
22 default currently, and it isn't causing massive problems.
23
24 | Yes I expected as much based on what I had read and I wonder about
25 | the
26 | ignorance and pretention of some people. You don't want security fine,
27 | turn it off. In the meanwhile make it easier for the consumers of our
28 | distro. It's time someone speaks out for the user! Frankly, I am tired
29 | of all these one offs and lets implement xyz useless feature
30 | discussions. This will help people, it will help businesses and as a
31 | consequence it will most definitly help Gentoo. Heck, it helps
32 | everyone except maybe you.
33
34 The option is there for users who want it. By all means document it
35 better, so long as said documentation is accurate regarding what it
36 really does. Do not try to force it upon everyone, since it has
37 undesirable side effects in some situations.
38
39 | On the matter of the russian roulette, it is no different, computers
40 | without
41 | a security policy are a disaster waiting to happen and the risk could
42 | cost someone their life (not in all uses of a computer granted). Both
43 | are loosing propositions. You cannot proof read all the code you put
44 | into a distro so you need better ways to attain an acceptable level of
45 | protection.
46
47 Now that's *definitely* FUD. Anyone running computers in a life or death
48 situation should be getting code audits done, running selinux / grsec,
49 enabling ssp and taking whatever other measures are appropriate given
50 the risks. Anything else would be irresponsible. However, most of our
51 users are *not* in this kind of situation. SSP is overkill for most
52 people.
53
54 Also remember that SSP does not remove security holes, it merely
55 mitigates the damage caused in certain situations.
58 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
59 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
60 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm