From: Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:43:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Saturday 25 September 2004 19:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:26 +0200 Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
6 >
7 > wrote:
8 > | 1) Safety is important, it should be our aim to have our
9 > | default system as secure as it possibly could be.
10 >
11 > Uh, no. A *reasonable* level of security is good. "As secure as it
12 > possibly could be" means turning on grsec, selinux etc in maximum
13 > security mode, which makes a box unusable unless you spend a lot of
14 > time screwing around with things. Nothing wrong with that under certain
15 > circumstances, of course, but it should *not* be a default.
16
17 As in how do you reason it would? You mean some things are not practically
18 feasable? Well I agree on that (did you read as far down as the
19 proposal?).... these things you name do not work with everything obviously
20 and so these things just aren't possible yet for out of the box deployment,
21
22 > | 3) A good housefather does not leave the front door of any home open
23 > | at night.
24 >
25 > There is a difference between leaving the front door open and installing
26 > fifty seven locks on the door.
27
28 Yes, but this isn't 57 locks tho...
29
30 > | Anyone who thinks that a speed tradeoff is too much for better
31 > | protection is crazy. Do us all a favor and play a go night of russian
32 > | roulette by yourself to get your thrills.
33 >
34 > You could equally say that anyone who is prepared to take a nasty
35 > performance hit for possible slight damage mitigation is paranoid. There
36 > is a huge difference between "not using ssp" and "playing russian
37 > roulette".
38 >
39 > I kinda wonder about the security FUD certain people are spreading...
40
41 Yes I expected as much based on what I had read and I wonder about the
42 ignorance and pretention of some people. You don't want security fine, turn
43 it off. In the meanwhile make it easier for the consumers of our distro. It's
44 time someone speaks out for the user! Frankly, I am tired of all these one
45 offs and lets implement xyz useless feature discussions. This will help
46 people, it will help businesses and as a consequence it will most definitly
47 help Gentoo. Heck, it helps everyone except maybe you.
48
49 On the matter of the russian roulette, it is no different, computers without
50 a security policy are a disaster waiting to happen and the risk could cost
51 someone their life (not in all uses of a computer granted). Both are loosing
52 propositions. You cannot proof read all the code you put into a distro so
53 you need better ways to attain an acceptable level of protection.
54
55 If nothing more then this measure would give the us the time to think of
56 better solutions instead of chasing after moving targets.
57
58 Bart.
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list