From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 17:00:29
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/20/2018 03:37 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> If I want to undo your new flag, I have to set USE="-udev" globally, and
5 >>> that clobbers any important per-package defaults that maintainers have set.
6 >>
7 >> I understand the concern at least in theory. But can you please give
8 >> me a concrete example of a package where you don't want USE=udev and
9 >> another example of a package where you do?
12 > I... probably don't want USE=udev enabled anywhere. What does it
13 > actually do? I don't know, and the flag description is useless, and I
14 > don't have time to read the source code to every package with the flag.
15 >
16 > But, I'm willing to trust the maintainers who have set IUSE="+udev" in
17 > their ebuilds.
18 >
19 > As an example of how this works out, I have both sys-apps/hwids and
20 > sys-apps/pciutils built with USE=udev, but media-gfx/gimp built without it.
21
22 If it adds no additional dependencies, why do you care?