From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 14:13:29
1 On 07/20/2018 03:37 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 >>
3 >> If I want to undo your new flag, I have to set USE="-udev" globally, and
4 >> that clobbers any important per-package defaults that maintainers have set.
5 >
6 > I understand the concern at least in theory. But can you please give
7 > me a concrete example of a package where you don't want USE=udev and
8 > another example of a package where you do?
11 I... probably don't want USE=udev enabled anywhere. What does it
12 actually do? I don't know, and the flag description is useless, and I
13 don't have time to read the source code to every package with the flag.
14
15 But, I'm willing to trust the maintainers who have set IUSE="+udev" in
16 their ebuilds.
17
18 As an example of how this works out, I have both sys-apps/hwids and
19 sys-apps/pciutils built with USE=udev, but media-gfx/gimp built without it.
22 > What dependency are you trying to avoid? Or is it just a design issue?
23
24 I just want to have the option to disable it, without having to maintain
25 my own copy of the entire "linux" profile hierarchy.