From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 07:37:48
1 On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/19/2018 05:51 PM, Ben Kohler wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
6 >> profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
7 >> enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
8 >> used on non-desktop linux systems.
9 >>
10 >> ...
11 >>
12 >> Any objections to this idea?
15 > Please add defaults per-package, only where they make sense. Enabling
16 > flags globally creates a huge headache for people that want them off.
17 >
18 > If I want to undo your new flag, I have to set USE="-udev" globally, and
19 > that clobbers any important per-package defaults that maintainers have set.
20
21 I understand the concern at least in theory. But can you please give
22 me a concrete example of a package where you don't want USE=udev and
23 another example of a package where you do?
24
25 Grepping the tree, I see the following packages pulled in with
26 USE=udev predominantly:
27
28 virtual/libudev
29 virtual/libgudev
30 virtual/udev
31
32 A few others have some additional dependencies enabled with USE=udev:
33
34 app-emulation/libvirt: x11-libs/libpciaccess
35 dev-qt/qtgui/qtgui: sys-kernel/linux-headers
36 gnome-base/gnome-desktop: sys-apps/hwids
37 media-gfx/iscan-data: dev-libs/libxslt, media-gfx/sane-backends
38 sys-auth/consolekit: x11-libs/libdrm
39 sys-fs/dosfstools: virtual/pkgconfig
42 What dependency are you trying to avoid? Or is it just a design issue?