From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 04:47:31
1 > All package documentation is accessible from http://localhost/doc/ in the
2 > default apache configuration files.
3
4 What about /usr/share/doc/, /usr/share/man/ and /usr/share/info/?
5
6 app-text/man2html and app-text/info2html seems to be the right tools.
7
8 /usr/share/doc/ would need ebuild support to be converted to html
9 though.
10 my system has 361 dirs in /usr/share/doc/ of which 68 has a html/
11 subdir.
14 > > Move away from the filesystem database that portage currently uses to
15 > > something with a bit more perfomance... mysql, sqlite even postgres... An
16 > > SQL backend interface would be WONDERFUL.
17 >
18 > The biggest problem is that the ebuilds can only be parsed using bash. If that
19 > restriction can be lifted (by restricting / changing the ebuild format)
20 > parsing should go a lot faster. Really the installed package database is not
21 > the problem.
22
23 It seems that a lot of the information in ebuilds could be stated
24 declarative rather than imperative as it is now. Changing the ebuild
25 format to xml could be beneficial. The imperative sections could remain
26 and then fed to bash as the result of an xslt transformation.
27 I see no reason why portage couldn't support two formats in a transition
28 period.
29
30 A small performance/space improvement would be to keep one file per
31 package rather then by version.
32
33 > I see what you mean. There are two problems. It is very hard to make a
34 > progress bar as using useflags means that we cannot give a good idea of the
35 > amount of code to be compiled in total. Even measuring what has allready been
36 > done is hard. Also removing the build output creates much problems for
37 > bug-hunting.
38
39 This is not a portage issue. Make could be patched to calculate the
40 amount of code (in kb) that would be considered for a particular target.
41 I have no idea what kind of overhead we are talking about here though.
42
43 -John