From: Brian Friday <bfriday@××××××××.edu>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 06:38:33
1 Just a lurker point his nose in but here I go
2
3 The contents of "/usr/share/doc" can be found when apache is
4 installed and the default for the doc directory isn't change
5 at the url of "= http://localhost/doc". It works great, your
6 web browser is smart enough to uncompress the gzipped
7 content so space is saved in a manner which is both elegant
8 and productive.
9
10 As for switching man pages or info pages to html
11 automatically and or by default I've got to ask the obvious
12 question of why. The current setup of the doc directory is:
13 1) useful with apache, less, zcat, lynx etc; 2) doesn't
14 require a serious amount of effort on the part of the ebuild
15 maker to put the docs in a location users can get them, 3)
16 doesn't require transforming those docs into something other
17 than the original makers intended. By keepings points 2 and
18 3 intact it means less hoops ebuild makers and maintainers
19 have to jump through which for my money translates into
20 happier makers/maintainers and more initial ebuilds
21 submitted by joe/jane "I want this app" submitter.
22
23 Now if your talking "I'm a user who wants to take the
24 additional step of using man2html and info2html" well
25 perhaps thats different but thats a second step maybe we can
26 document for end-users but leave it up to them if they want
27 to implement it. If there is a serious feeling of adventure
28 maybe making it a use flag or portage option which acts just
29 like packages and warns the user that they must run
30 "man2html" or "info2html" in order to insure that the
31 man/info files they just installed with the application are
32 available. Of course like fixpackages a "this could take a
33 lot of time and or use additional space" warning would be
34 appropriate.
35
36 them's my pennies!
37
38 John Nilsson wrote:
39
40 > What about /usr/share/doc/, /usr/share/man/ and /usr/share/info/?
41 >
42 > app-text/man2html and app-text/info2html seems to be the right tools.
43 >
44 > /usr/share/doc/ would need ebuild support to be converted to html
45 > though.
46 > my system has 361 dirs in /usr/share/doc/ of which 68 has a html/
47 > subdir.
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list