From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some 'proper coding' notes for ebuilds
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:16:03
1 On Sunday 03 August 2003 13:34, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On Sunday 03 August 2003 9:27 pm, George Shapovalov wrote:
3 > As a new developer, I've been told repeatedly that lintool is not worth
4 > using. Heck, it even says that in the Ebuild howto on the website, iirc.
5 and
6 >Warning: Be warned - lintool is very broken. Use repoman instead.
7
8 Sure, don't use lintool *instead* of repoman (just trying to clarify so that
9 nobody will take my words out of context (Stuart: not directed at you
10 personally, as I am sure you understood what I meant ;))). However I still
11 find lintool quite usefull for a basic ebuild composition checks, it seems to
12 catch a bit more of those.
13
14 I would say use both, with repoman taking precedence where they contradict
15 (although I never saw this happen). I usually run ebuilds through lintool
16 first (you *will* get few false errors/warnings, so you need to know the tool
17 and the policy :)) and when everything ready run repoman on a dir..
18 Although clearly use of lintool *is not required* anymore..
19
20 George
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list