From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some 'proper coding' notes for ebuilds
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:37:04
1 On Sunday 03 August 2003 9:27 pm, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > Well, looks like there is no one around who remembers this thing, so I
3 > guess I'll chime in:
4
5 ;-)
6
7 > While not really used nowadays, lintool is still a
8 > usefull tool, albeit unmaintained :(.
9
10 As a new developer, I've been told repeatedly that lintool is not worth using.
11 Heck, it even says that in the Ebuild howto on the website, iirc.
12
13 > There has been a discussion of this issue, I believe over a year ago
14 > already. It has been decided that this indeed is a serious issue, worth
15 > being brought into the policy (main reason I beleive was to settle the
16 > never-ending debates). everybody agreed that it should be either all spaces
17 > or all tabs (I hope nobody would want it otherwise nowadays?)
18
19 Urgh ;-)
20
21 Although, I will admit, that most ebuilds are trivial enough to be indented
22 using just tabs.
23
24 > Oh, should I mention that I am on a tabbed side ;)?
25
26 I'd never have guessed ;-)
27
28 > Above makes this a non-issue, and as I described in the beginning we do
29 > have that enforceent and we put it in place upon discussing alternatives
30 > and on purpose.
31
32 Second urgh.
33
34 What's next - forcing people to use emacs over vi, or vice versa? ;-)
35 Seriously, I refer you back to my previous post about why engineers use
36 coding standards.
37
38 Best regards,
39 Stu
40 --
41 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
42 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
43 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
44
45 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
46 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C