From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:08:26
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 11:58 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > In theory, yeah if you build xorg with USE=sdk. See ati-gatos,
3 > linuxwacom or synaptics ebuilds for examples of things that take
4 > advantage of this. In reality, some of the drivers are problably broken
5 > WRT compiling against the SDK. Only way to know is to test. But having
6 > only the binary drivers as options is a good possibility since they're
7 > also the only ones that work with a number of recent GameCD candidate
8 > games.
9
10 Yeah, I'm mostly looking for a way to squeeze out some more space for
11 the GameCD, so I can make some CDs smaller and so I can fit some bigger
12 games (America's Army, anyone?) on a single CD.
13
14 > By the way, most games use fonts. So having them would be a plus. But
15 > it's worth testing just how bad the misc fonts look, I guess. I'm
16 > working on having them be the only ones built with "minimal."
17
18 I'm not sure that any of the binary released games use any fonts, but it
19 would be something to check out.
20
21 > I'm sure ATI will support 6.8 soon enough, unless they want everyone
22 > running to Nvidia.
23
24 Next release, they say, but I can't remember how long the ATI product
25 cycle is for driver releases. I think it is something like every 2
26 months, which means we're still something like 7 weeks away from a new
27 release.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
32 Games - Developer
33 Gentoo Linux