From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:57:03
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 12:31, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:50 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > After thinking about this a little, it occurred to me that for a truly
4 > > minimal system, perhaps only the fbdev, vesa and vga drivers would be
5 > > wanted.
6 >
7 > That would definitely be cool. Along the same lines, would there be
8 > some way to compile these drivers outside of the xorg-x11 ebuild? The
9 > reason that I ask is USE="minimal" looks *perfect* for a GameCD, but
10 > without some of the drivers, it would probably not work out too well.
11 > Then again, I could just say that only cards that are supported via the
12 > "nvidia-*" and "ati-drivers" are supported, which would make things much
13 > easier... once ATI actually fixes their drivers to work with xorg 6.8.0,
14 > that is... *rolleyes*
15
16 In theory, yeah if you build xorg with USE=sdk. See ati-gatos,
17 linuxwacom or synaptics ebuilds for examples of things that take
18 advantage of this. In reality, some of the drivers are problably broken
19 WRT compiling against the SDK. Only way to know is to test. But having
20 only the binary drivers as options is a good possibility since they're
21 also the only ones that work with a number of recent GameCD candidate
22 games.
23
24 By the way, most games use fonts. So having them would be a plus. But
25 it's worth testing just how bad the misc fonts look, I guess. I'm
26 working on having them be the only ones built with "minimal."
27
28 I'm sure ATI will support 6.8 soon enough, unless they want everyone
29 running to Nvidia.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list