From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:31:12
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:50 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:08, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > 7. For x86 only, remove these video drivers: nsc, glint, tga, s3,
4 > > s3virge, rendition, neomagic, i740, cirrus, tseng, trident, chips, apm,
5 > > ark, cyrix, siliconmotion. I wasn't sure what was safe for other archs
6 > > and didn't want to play around without some more research.
7 > >
8 > > Of those, the only questionable ones to me are s3, s3virge and
9 > > especially siliconmotion. I could see the latter being popular on
10 > > systems that would otherwise use the "minimal" flag.
11 >
12 > After thinking about this a little, it occurred to me that for a truly
13 > minimal system, perhaps only the fbdev, vesa and vga drivers would be
14 > wanted.
15
16 That would definitely be cool. Along the same lines, would there be
17 some way to compile these drivers outside of the xorg-x11 ebuild? The
18 reason that I ask is USE="minimal" looks *perfect* for a GameCD, but
19 without some of the drivers, it would probably not work out too well.
20 Then again, I could just say that only cards that are supported via the
21 "nvidia-*" and "ati-drivers" are supported, which would make things much
22 easier... once ATI actually fixes their drivers to work with xorg 6.8.0,
23 that is... *rolleyes*
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
28 Games - Developer
29 Gentoo Linux