From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 01:06:01
1 On 06/10/2012 17:52, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > In other words, all or nothing. An x32 distro is technically
3 > possible, but it would require every last single binary/library/object
4 > file/etc *INCLUDING PROPRIETARY PROGRAMS AND BINARY BLOBS* to be x32 and
5 > only, and no multilib stuff. If amd64 did not support multilib and
6 > plugin-wrappers, it would be a lot less common today.
7
8 Sec, let me not be misunderstood. You can _still_ have multilib. And you
9 could still devise plugin wrappers. But things like nspluginwrapper
10 works only by chance with the design. If it was easy to do, we wouldn't
11 _need_ multilib to begin with.
12
13 In this case the problem is that Chrome uses v8 internally, and getting
14 it to use a different ABI library is likely more cumbersome than porting
15 and maintaining sid port.
16
17 For reference, what Ben referred to is all described in
18 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/x32 . It's also interesting to note that
19 Werner Koch of libgcrypt and gnupg fame is also not interested in
20 supporting x32.
23 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
24 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/