From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 00:53:58
1 On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 11:06:04AM -0700, Diego Elio Petten?? wrote
2
3 > Nothing stops you from doing that. But if you want them to load from a
4 > non x32-ABI application, no way. As I said on my blog before, the big
5 > problem is that x32 is neither x86-64 nor x86 binary compatible (if they
6 > bumped x86 ABI that would have helped) so there is no way to cross-load
7 > or cross-call any more than you can load a 32-bit library on a 64-bit
8 > application or vice versa.
9 >
10 > Of course you could build Chrome for amd64 as well. And Qt5 while you're
11 > at it. And KDE. And since you'll also have Skype (32-bit) you'll be
12 > wondering where the memory saving boasted by the ricers (on forums and
13 > so on) is, given that you're loading three libcs, three libssl, two Qt
14 > (as right now) and I don't know many more duplicates...
15
16 In other words, all or nothing. An x32 distro is technically
17 possible, but it would require every last single binary/library/object
18 file/etc *INCLUDING PROPRIETARY PROGRAMS AND BINARY BLOBS* to be x32 and
19 only, and no multilib stuff. If amd64 did not support multilib and
20 plugin-wrappers, it would be a lot less common today.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications