From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 18:06:52
1 On 05/10/2012 07:28, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 >
3 > I had a crazy idea to just build v8 and v8-dependent packages using
4 > non-x32 ABI, but I'm not sure if it's possible and if it would be the
5 > right thing to do.
6
7 Nothing stops you from doing that. But if you want them to load from a
8 non x32-ABI application, no way. As I said on my blog before, the big
9 problem is that x32 is neither x86-64 nor x86 binary compatible (if they
10 bumped x86 ABI that would have helped) so there is no way to cross-load
11 or cross-call any more than you can load a 32-bit library on a 64-bit
12 application or vice versa.
13
14 Of course you could build Chrome for amd64 as well. And Qt5 while you're
15 at it. And KDE. And since you'll also have Skype (32-bit) you'll be
16 wondering where the memory saving boasted by the ricers (on forums and
17 so on) is, given that you're loading three libcs, three libssl, two Qt
18 (as right now) and I don't know many more duplicates...
21 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
22 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/