From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 15:48:21
1 On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 8:52 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 8:06 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Sure, if packages don't work anymore or are blocking something, we will
6 > > start last-rite process. But for the sabnzbd example (I haven't looked
7 > > closely on any other package from that list) there isn't anything
8 > > blocking and it's a working piece of software. The only thing which
9 > > stands out is: It's a Py2-only package.
12 > Well, that's simple enough. If the python maintainers intend to
13 > remove python2 then they need to remove anything that depends on it at
14 > the same time. Otherwise all those packages are going to break anyway
15 > and users just end up with a mess of error messages due to a broken
16 > depgraph.
17 >
18 > That said, as I've already commented I think it makes more sense to
19 > mask the reverse dependencies at the same time as masking python2
20 > itself.
21
22 It's not quite so simple as you make it sound. There really isn't a
23 viable way to defer removal of python2-only packages until we remove
24 dev-lang/python:2.7.
25
26 An increasing number of python packages are dropping support for
27 python2 when upstream releases new versions. When this happens, we
28 really need to drop python2 support from all reverse dependencies as
29 well. Alternative strategies like slotting or compatibility packages
30 are a stopgap at best, and become a problem as soon as bugs are
31 reported or security issues pop up.
32
33 Ripping out python2 support for all reverse dependencies of a core
34 package is rather daunting, and is likely to cause much more of an
35 uproar than the recent mask. Aaron is really tackling the low-hanging
36 fruit at this point: leaves on the depgraph.