From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 16:12:37
1 On 2019-12-06 16:48, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > It's not quite so simple as you make it sound. There really isn't a
3 > viable way to defer removal of python2-only packages until we remove
4 > dev-lang/python:2.7.
5 >
6 > An increasing number of python packages are dropping support for
7 > python2 when upstream releases new versions. When this happens, we
8 > really need to drop python2 support from all reverse dependencies as
9 > well. Alternative strategies like slotting or compatibility packages
10 > are a stopgap at best, and become a problem as soon as bugs are
11 > reported or security issues pop up.
12 >
13 > Ripping out python2 support for all reverse dependencies of a core
14 > package is rather daunting, and is likely to cause much more of an
15 > uproar than the recent mask. Aaron is really tackling the low-hanging
16 > fruit at this point: leaves on the depgraph.
17
18 But what's the problem here? Why do you need to rip out Py2 support? PHP
19 project is facing a similar situation with PHP 5.6, 7.0 and now 7.1
20 becoming EOL. Sure, there are way more Python packages but could you
21 explain why you can't do the same like we did? I.e. new versions of PHP
22 PECL extension also dropped support for PHP versions which are EOL. When
23 we bump these packages we just drop PHP versions which are no longer
24 able to run these extensions. But we keep at least last version still
25 supporting PHP version which is/become EOL until we finally get rid of
26 this PHP version as a whole. For example, a lot of packages are now
27 masked *with* dev-lang/php:5.6 because Gentoo will finally get rid of
28 PHP 5.6 which is EOL since 2018-12-31. But we didn't break PHP 5.6 users
29 by starting to remove PECL extension for this version while
30 dev-lang/php:5.6 was still a thing...
34 Regards,
35 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
36 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5