From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requiring two sets of eyes for all eclass commits
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:42:04
1 > On 04/24/2010 09:14 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:40:54 +0300
3 > >
4 > > Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> 17:34 < Betelgeuse> robbat2|na: how easy to it to prevent commits to
6 > >> CVS if the commit message doesn't match a certain pattern?
7 > >> 17:36 <@robbat2|na> go and checkout the CVSROOT and there should be an
8 > >> example there
9 > >> 17:37 < Betelgeuse> robbat2|na: Ok so doable then. Thanks.
10 > >>
11 > >> What do you think about not allowing commits to eclasses without
12 > >> mentioning an another developer who has reviewed and approved the diff
13 > >> in the commit message? There's enough people on gentoo-dev for urgent
14 > >> stuff too.
15 > >
16 > > no thanks; we already have the policy to require that major changes to
17 > > broad impact eclasses have gone through -dev, no need to add more
18 > > bureaucracy.
19 >
20 > But the policy is not tested by the quizzes and we have had cases lately
21 > where large diffs have been committed without gentoo-dev review. With
22 > peer review it's likely that the reviewer is familiar with what should
23 > be sent to gentoo-dev as hesitant/new people won't give their approval
24 > that easily.
25
26 1) Why is it of any relevance whether or not the quizzes test this policy?
27 2) Where is this policy recorded, and why does devmanual.g.o seem to
28 (possibly) contradict it? [1] I'm not sure of the nature of the commits but
29 were they non-general?
30
31 - Alistair
32
33 [1] "It is not usually necessary to email the gentoo-dev list before making
34 changes to a non-general eclass which you maintain. Use common sense here."