From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog - Infra Response; update 2015/11/11, potential impact to 30min rsync cycle
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 23:11:56
1 On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 12:54:06PM +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > It's not perfectly clean but I don't see any problem here:
3 > ChangeLog-2015 : all ChangeLog from CVS
4 > ChangeLog: autogenerated from git
5 FYI, this was implemented.
6
7 For reference, the old CVS changelogs are now taken from HEAD of this
8 repo:
9 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-changelogs.git/
10
11 mgorny and I have been poking at the generation issue, with the features
12 I requested now implemented, plus one patch I pushed up to portage-dev.
13
14 There are still some issues remaining.
15
16 I filed bugs for some of them:
17 565536 - need to exclude some commits/paths
18 565538 - need to exclude some lines
19 565540 - need parallel threads
20
21 However, the largest sticking point, even with parallel threads, is that
22 it seems the base ChangeLog generation is incredibly slow. It averages
23 above 350ms per package right now (at 19k packages in a full cycle, it's
24 a long time), but some packages can take up to 5 seconds so far.
25
26 Incremental processing does help this hugely, but isn't always
27 available.
28
29 Right now, I'm considering promising 30 minute syncs as a best case
30 interval; if changelog generation causes it to take longer, then a push
31 window WILL be missed.
32
33 How often might this happen? Since we converted to Git, excluding the
34 initial large commits, there were three instances where it would have
35 added more than 10 minutes without the improvements I created bugs for.
36 Plus, any other changes that cause loss of timestamps/reference for
37 comparison will trigger a full run, at ~6 hours of delay.
38
39 (Yes, that's why there hasn't been an rsync update in the last 3 hours,
40 and won't be for another ~3 hours: because it's crunching to generate
41 ChangeLogs).
44 Robin Hugh Johnson
45 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee
46 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
47 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85