From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] generating ChangeLog files automatically from `cvs commit`
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:08:42
1 On Tuesday 16 August 2005 09:52 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:46:23 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:38, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > | > GLEP 31 is withdrawn until Gentoo gets some means of removing commit
7 > | > access from people who say "nyah nyah I don't feel like following
8 > | > the rules and so I'll just carry on breaking stuff as I see fit".
9 > | > As it stands I've been told by various people that they have no
10 > | > interest in ensuring that their commits are UTF-8 safe (even if
11 > | > there's an automated check that warns them when they're about to
12 > | > break something), and I don't consider it fair to force lots of
13 > | > repoman warnings upon other developers who *do* care about that
14 > | > kind of thing who just happen to be the next person to touch a
15 > | > package that got broken.
16 > |
17 > | Repoman could check the commit message for being valid UTF-8 and
18 > | simply not allow the commit if it isn't. :)
19 >
20 > Well, I have a tool already that checks that. But it doesn't help when
21 > we have developers who don't use repoman, who forcibly override repoman
22 > fatal errors and who just randomly remove anything they think is
23 > causing errors...
24
25 yes, but lets work with what we have ... besides, it'll be easy to pick out
26 who used repoman and who didnt by checking who has broken UTF8 commit
27 messages ;)
28 -mike
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list