From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] generating ChangeLog files automatically from `cvs commit`
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:55:32
1 On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:46:23 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:38, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > GLEP 31 is withdrawn until Gentoo gets some means of removing commit
5 | > access from people who say "nyah nyah I don't feel like following
6 | > the rules and so I'll just carry on breaking stuff as I see fit".
7 | > As it stands I've been told by various people that they have no
8 | > interest in ensuring that their commits are UTF-8 safe (even if
9 | > there's an automated check that warns them when they're about to
10 | > break something), and I don't consider it fair to force lots of
11 | > repoman warnings upon other developers who *do* care about that
12 | > kind of thing who just happen to be the next person to touch a
13 | > package that got broken.
14 |
15 | Repoman could check the commit message for being valid UTF-8 and
16 | simply not allow the commit if it isn't. :)
17
18 Well, I have a tool already that checks that. But it doesn't help when
19 we have developers who don't use repoman, who forcibly override repoman
20 fatal errors and who just randomly remove anything they think is
21 causing errors...
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm