From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding list of variables exported by make.conf to emerge --info
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:42:43
1 On 1/17/12 6:35 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 01/16/2012 02:54 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
3 >> People frequently break their systems by exporting weird variables like
4 >> SYSTEM from /etc/make.conf (USE variable "grouping").
5 >>
6 >> Example here: <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6915550#6915550>
7 >>
8 >> What do you think about adding list of variables in make.conf to emerge
9 >> --info ? I know we can always ask for the make.conf, but it either
10 >> requires asking for a large amount of info up front, or increases the
11 >> number of round-trips (emerge --info looks normal, ask for make.conf).
12 >
13 > I think what want already exists:
14 >
15 > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/profiles/info_vars
16 >
17 > Am I right?
18
19 Not really. Even the example SYSTEM is not listed there, and as said
20 before we can't put every possible, now and in the future, bad variable
21 name there.
22
23 I think another line should be added to emerge --info, like this (just
24 an example, most variables omitted):
25
26 Variables defined in make.conf: CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, SYSTEM, ...