From: "Thomas D." <whissi@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:49:54
1 Hi,
2
3 I like your (Alex) new proposal, but I have the following annotations:
4
5 > As of sys-fs/udev-210, the options CONFIG_FHANDLE and CONFIG_NET
6 > are now required in the kernel. A warning will be issued if they
7 > are missing when you upgrade. See the package's README in
8 > /usr/share/doc/udev-210/ for more optional kernel options.
9
10 Isn't that a chicken/egg problem? I see the NEWS when I have
11 <sys-fs/udev-210 installed. The NEWS tells me to read the README in
12 "/usr/share/doc/udev-210/" for more options. But until I upgraded I
13 cannot access the README..
14
15 So if these options are important, make them available in the Wiki or
16 somewhere else and link to that resource.
17
18 If these options are not important, remove the sentences because it
19 doesn't add any usable information to that NEWS item.
22 > Overriding the 80-net-name-slot.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/ no
23 > longer works since upstream renamed the file to
24 > /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules.
25
26 All I have to do is changing the name from "80-net-name-slot.rules" to
27 "80-net-setup-link.rules", e.g. adjusting the name because upstream
28 renamed... not? So a text like
29
30 The most reliable way of disabling the new network interface
31 scheme is still the kernel parameter "net.ifnames=0". If you are
32 using the "net-name-slot.rules" approach make sure you adapt
33 the new naming before you restart because upstream renamed the
34 "80-net-name-slot.rules" to "80-net-setup-link.rules".
35
36 sounds better for me instead of saying "overriding no longer works"
37 and to clarify later that this is still possible ;)
38
39 I don't see a need for mentioning that the actual configuration is
40 located in "/lib/systemd/network/..." in the NEWS item.
43 -Thomas