From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] version/slot locked dependencies in eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 04:57:57
1 On 01/21/2018 11:24 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 >
3 > Some eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass generate
4 > version/slot locked dependencies that cause the dependencies of
5 > inheriting ebuilds to change when the versions in the eclasses are
6 > updated. If possible, it would be nice to avoid this version/slot
7 > locking. If not possible, then what should be do?
10 This changes the deps in stable ebuilds, and was already a no-no.
11
12 If the dependencies are to remain in the eclasses, then the eclasses
13 should get a new revision when those dependencies change. Afterwards,
14 the consumers can be revbumped and stabilized normally to utilize the
15 new eclass.
19 > Should we tell users to use the emerge --changed-deps=y option? Maybe
20 > make --changed-deps=y a default setting?
23 Our tree shouldn't require a portage-only option to work. Besides, it's
24 better engineering to have the one person who makes the change alert the
25 rest of us. Having a million people poll "Did somebody change this? How
26 about now?" constantly is silly.