From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] version/slot locked dependencies in eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 06:20:32
1 On 01/21/2018 08:57 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/21/2018 11:24 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Some eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass generate
5 >> version/slot locked dependencies that cause the dependencies of
6 >> inheriting ebuilds to change when the versions in the eclasses are
7 >> updated. If possible, it would be nice to avoid this version/slot
8 >> locking. If not possible, then what should be do?
11 > This changes the deps in stable ebuilds, and was already a no-no.
12 >
13 > If the dependencies are to remain in the eclasses, then the eclasses
14 > should get a new revision when those dependencies change. Afterwards,
15 > the consumers can be revbumped and stabilized normally to utilize the
16 > new eclass.
17
18 Sounds good!
19
20 >> Should we tell users to use the emerge --changed-deps=y option? Maybe
21 >> make --changed-deps=y a default setting?
24 > Our tree shouldn't require a portage-only option to work. Besides, it's
25 > better engineering to have the one person who makes the change alert the
26 > rest of us. Having a million people poll "Did somebody change this? How
27 > about now?" constantly is silly.
28
29 Okay, think I'll prepare a news item suggesting to use --changed-deps=y
30 if necessary for the initial transition to --dynamic-deps=n.
31 --
32 Thanks,
33 Zac