From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: version/slot locked dependencies in eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:13:14
1 Zac Medico posted on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 22:20:21 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 01/21/2018 08:57 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >> On 01/21/2018 11:24 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Some eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass generate
7 >>> version/slot locked dependencies that cause the dependencies of
8 >>> inheriting ebuilds to change when the versions in the eclasses are
9 >>> updated. If possible, it would be nice to avoid this version/slot
10 >>> locking. If not possible, then what should be do?
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >> This changes the deps in stable ebuilds, and was already a no-no.
14 >>
15 >> If the dependencies are to remain in the eclasses, then the eclasses
16 >> should get a new revision when those dependencies change. Afterwards,
17 >> the consumers can be revbumped and stabilized normally to utilize the
18 >> new eclass.
19 >
20 > Sounds good!
21
22 How does that work with live-vcs ebuilds, aka -9999 ebuilds?
23
24 To date I've seen very few if any -9999-rX ebuilds, I've assumed because
25 they'll be rebuilt if the sources change anyway, and with @smart-live-
26 rebuild upstream changes are detected and trigger rebuilds automatically.
27
28 But now we're talking gentoo level dependency changes that either don't
29 match a specific upstream change or that occur *after* the upstream
30 change, so there may /be/ no timely upstream update to trigger a rebuild.
31
32 Does this then mean we should be getting -9999-rX revision bumps now, for
33 gentoo level dependency changes?
34
35 If so, gentoo/kde's overlay... and I since I run live-git of nearly
36 everything kde here... are in for quite some hundreds-of-packages-at-once
37 fun when those eclass dep-bumps occur...
38
39 (Tho it can't be /that/ bad, since I've been running with --dynamic-deps=n
40 for years now, and without --changed-deps for I'd guess a year or so
41 now. And upstream does mass version and dep bumps regularly already,
42 triggering the mass rebuilds even if that's the only commit, so I suppose
43 another triggered rebuild when gentoo/kde revbumps after dep-bumping to
44 reflect what upstream already did, won't be /that/ much different or
45 /that/ much more work. Only now I guess I'll be seeing it in -9999-rX
46 revbumps, too.)
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman