From: David Nielsen <Lovechild@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEW ~arch KEYWORDS
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:12:24
1 > So let me get this straight. Pacakge masking (and unmasking to test)
2 > will be a thing of the past? If one uses that ~arch line, will one
3 > have the latest packages available?
4
5 As I understand it, no - keywords are used as a means of getting the
6 stable/development branching people have been requesting. Global masking will
7 still be useful.
8 Keywords are a good way of getting around silly stuff like masking perl
9 because it fails to compile on PPC, when 90% of the world in on a x86 comp.
10 machine.
11
12 > I am just curious as I have unmasked a heap of Gnome 2 apps and this
13 > would make my life easier ;)
14
15 depends on Spider and the other GNOME ebuild developers really, but if the
16 software is to be considers dangerous and unstable on all platforms global
17 masking might be a good idea. So I would expect global masking stay as it is
18 for quite some time.
19
20 my 2 euro cents
21