From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 05:14:35
1 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> posted f76iu0$j6u$1@×××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:01:53 -0600:
3
4 > Why don't we create the gentoo-project mailing
5 > list, and, you know, actually wait a bit to see how that actually goes.
6 > Then we can talk about how best to handle -dev. One shit at a time,
7 > people.
8
9 +1
10
11 It should also be noted that it's council election time, and I don't
12 believe a change such as closing -dev to moderated write status is really
13 urgent enough to have the outgoing council handle. Let the folks running
14 for council now make their positions part of their platforms, and after -
15 project is up and running for a couple months and the new council is in
16 place, /then/ let's see if moderating -dev remains a burning enough issue
17 to be voted on.
18
19 Otherwise, what happens if the new council sees things differently. If
20 they reverse course, it's going to cause reverberations. If they are
21 unhappy with things but decide to uphold the previous council, well that
22 has its own problems.
23
24 Here's what I'd suggest. Let the current council have its vote -- as a
25 recommendation for the new council, not a binding/active decision. Then
26 the new council can come in and build on those preliminaries, taking into
27 account further developments as -project comes into its own, as they see
28 fit.
29
30 If the recommendation from the old council and the implementation of the
31 new council both go the same way, it'll be a VERY strong decision. If
32 the new council sees things differently, at least with it being an issue
33 during the nomination and vote, they'll be able to point to that and say
34 we did as we were elected to do. Either way, I believe it'll be a rather
35 stronger decision than if the outgoing council acts on it as what amounts
36 to lame ducks.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list