From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:58:07
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013, 14:57:16 schrieb Ben de Groot:
4 >>
5 >> After some initial bikeshedding we came to the conclusion that naming
6 >> the category simply "qt" is the most elegant solution. We will then
7 >> also be dropping the qt- prefix in package names. This means
8 >> x11-libs/qt-core will be moved to qt/core, and so on.
11 > Please don't.
12 >
13 > This is not about standards, but about consistency. About everyone else uses
14 > the two-part category-names witha-dash. Why can't you? It is what I would
15 > immediately expect, instead of a "hyper-toplevel" "qt".
16 >
17 > My suggestion would be qt-base (analogous to kde-base, gnome-base, gnustep-
18 > base, lxde-base, and xfce-base) for everything that is part of the main Qt
19 > release.
20
21 I'd actually argue that qt/core qt/base and other such 'package names'
22 are in fact a better reason why this is a terrible idea. Remember that
23 in some places (like emerge) the category is optional.
24
25 emerge core base => not obvious
26
27 -A