From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: 24 hour review for >= dev-libs/glib-2.28 stable news item
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 07:47:51
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:56:06 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > You have 24 hours to comment on this news item. Sorry to put it so
4 > bluntly but this is required for major security bug (#364973).
5 >
6 > See attachment.
7 > Title: Upgrade to GLIB 2.28 Author: GNOME Team <gnome@g.o>
8 > Content-Type: text/plain Posted: 2011-04-26 Revision: 1
9 > News-Item-Format: 1.0 Display-If-Installed: <dev-libs/glib-2.28
10 >
11 > The way of setting default URI handlers has changed since
12 > dev-libs/glib-2.28 and above. If you used the GConf registry to set them
13 > before, they will now be ignored.
14 >
15 > If you use GNOME, you must upgrade gnome-session and
16 > gnome-control-center and set your default browser/mail-client again.
17 >
18 > If you don't use GNOME, you should ensure that the file
19 > ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list has the following content:
20 >
21 > [Added Associations]
22 > x-scheme-handler/http=$browser_name.desktop;
23 > x-scheme-handler/https=$browser_name.desktop;
24 > x-scheme-handler/mailto=$mailclient_name.desktop;
25 >
26 > Replace $browser_name.desktop and $mailclient_name.desktop with the
27 > appropriate file from /usr/share/applications that can handle
28 > http/https/mailto URIs.
29 >
30 > Please make sure that your browsers and mail clients have been upgraded
31 > to the latest stable versions before doing all this.
32
33 This is unclear. Should non-gnome users (I'm a kde user) set this to
34 prepare for the upgrade, or as a workaround until one actually completes
35 the upgrade?
36
37 The question comes up, because I'm on 2.28.6, which should be above the
38 threshold for the notice, and I have that file in my home dir, but do NOT
39 have those entries in it, which the notice appears to imply I should.
40
41 Second point: To clarify, you're asking presumably admin users to set
42 this in their homedir config, right? There's absolutely nothing in the
43 proposed news item (and no link with it as a further detail) explaining
44 this rather unprecedented tampering with a user's private homedir config,
45 nor anything explaining what happens if it isn't done. Should an admin by
46 arbitrary fiat edit the entries for *ALL* users? Just his own?
47
48 If this is intended to be a system level policy edit, why isn't it *AT*
49 they system level? If there is indeed technical reason to go editing
50 individual user's homedir configs, then PLEASE make it MUCH CLEARER just
51 WHICH user configs need to be edited (presumably all of them), and provide
52 some justification, technical or otherwise, why editing the user config is
53 the chosen solution.
54
55 Note that as I implied above, a further details link is very likely
56 appropriate, since news items are normally quite brief, serving in many
57 cases more as an alert to check the details elsewhere than a full
58 explanation and instructions.
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman