From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: 24 hour review for >= dev-libs/glib-2.28 stable news item
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:17:13
1 On 04/27/2011 10:46 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen posted on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:56:06 +0300 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> You have 24 hours to comment on this news item. Sorry to put it so
5 >> bluntly but this is required for major security bug (#364973).
6 >>
7 >> See attachment.
8 >> Title: Upgrade to GLIB 2.28 Author: GNOME Team <gnome@g.o>
9 >> Content-Type: text/plain Posted: 2011-04-26 Revision: 1
10 >> News-Item-Format: 1.0 Display-If-Installed: <dev-libs/glib-2.28
11 >>
12 >> The way of setting default URI handlers has changed since
13 >> dev-libs/glib-2.28 and above. If you used the GConf registry to set them
14 >> before, they will now be ignored.
15 >>
16 >> If you use GNOME, you must upgrade gnome-session and
17 >> gnome-control-center and set your default browser/mail-client again.
18 >>
19 >> If you don't use GNOME, you should ensure that the file
20 >> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list has the following content:
21 >>
22 >> [Added Associations]
23 >> x-scheme-handler/http=$browser_name.desktop;
24 >> x-scheme-handler/https=$browser_name.desktop;
25 >> x-scheme-handler/mailto=$mailclient_name.desktop;
26 >>
27 >> Replace $browser_name.desktop and $mailclient_name.desktop with the
28 >> appropriate file from /usr/share/applications that can handle
29 >> http/https/mailto URIs.
30 >>
31 >> Please make sure that your browsers and mail clients have been upgraded
32 >> to the latest stable versions before doing all this.
33 >
34 > This is unclear. Should non-gnome users (I'm a kde user) set this to
35 > prepare for the upgrade, or as a workaround until one actually completes
36 > the upgrade?
37
38 It's a permanent thing... I think the item is clear on that... "The
39 default way has changed", no where implying this would go away or be
40 temporary, or a workaround
41
42 The KDE desktop should set those mime's already, if you have selected
43 default browser/mailclient from the desktops GUI apps. If not, file a
44 bug for the KDE people.
45
46 > The question comes up, because I'm on 2.28.6, which should be above the
47 > threshold for the notice, and I have that file in my home dir, but do NOT
48 > have those entries in it, which the notice appears to imply I should.
49
50 The news item is targeted for stable users... presumably ~arch users
51 know what they are doing. Hence the Display-If-Installed.
54 > Second point: To clarify, you're asking presumably admin users to set
55 > this in their homedir config, right? There's absolutely nothing in the
56 > proposed news item (and no link with it as a further detail) explaining
57 > this rather unprecedented tampering with a user's private homedir config,
58 > nor anything explaining what happens if it isn't done. Should an admin by
59 > arbitrary fiat edit the entries for *ALL* users? Just his own?
60 >
61 > If this is intended to be a system level policy edit, why isn't it *AT*
62 > they system level? If there is indeed technical reason to go editing
63 > individual user's homedir configs, then PLEASE make it MUCH CLEARER just
64 > WHICH user configs need to be edited (presumably all of them), and provide
65 > some justification, technical or otherwise, why editing the user config is
66 > the chosen solution.
67 >
68 > Note that as I implied above, a further details link is very likely
69 > appropriate, since news items are normally quite brief, serving in many
70 > cases more as an alert to check the details elsewhere than a full
71 > explanation and instructions.
74 Addressed the system-wide vs. user defined issue in the new draft
75 (responded to the original post of this thread with it).
76 Has a link now too.